A Civil Wedding is a Legal ceremony performed by a civil judge, this type of ceremony change your marital status from single to married in Mexico. The Marriage Certificate which is issued as a result of this act is recognized by most of the countries with an apostil.
Documentation required for each participant in a Civil Marriage Ceremony in Mexico:
- Valid original passports and photocopies of bride and groom. IFE should be Mexican.
- Driver´s license
- Mexican Tourist card (provided by customs upon arrival to Cancun)
- Prenuptial blood exam and prenuptial certificate has to be done in Mexico. Valid for 14 days maximum. These 2 requirements need to have your official names on it, exactly as it appears on your birth certificates.
- Four witnesses, 2 for the groom and 2 for the bride, they cannot be your own parents. (All witnesses must have original passport and tourist card (for foreigners). If you don´t, here we can arrange destination).
- In the case of divorce, you must present the final divorce certificate. Women & Men must be divorced for at least 362 days before they are permitted to marry again in Mexico. The divorce certificate must be translated into Spanish and authenticated by a Mexican Embassy or consulate official (needs to be done in the US before you arrive). Original or notarized copy of former spouse’s death certificate is requested.